Tuesday, June 18, 2024

BORN on TOP of a GOLD mine

 


Proverbs 17:3

King James Version

3 The fining pot is for silver, 

and the furnace for gold: 

but the Lord trieth the hearts.


I was born on top of a gold mine.

I used to say that.

Only because my brothers would joke me.

They'd brand me a "native", an "Igorot".

Knowing I was born up in the mountains.

While they were city boys.

So I got creative.

Even then, my tongue got the better of me.

And thought up something, saying proudly:

"I was born on top of a gold mine."


And they'd be stumped, for a moment.

I bet they didn't know that.

That there was gold in them thar mountains.

The very mountains I was born in.

Where our father was company physician.

I was born on top of Suyoc Mines.

One of the oldest mines in the Philippines.

Now, I don't know if there's still gold.

If the mother lode was discovered, and all that.

But I did come across this recent article today:

"Indigenous Philippine village rejects gold mine, cites flawed consultation"


I also learned, from looking into "Mankayan", where the mine was located, that there were nearly 14,000 people living there when I was born in the 60s.

Now, they're over 37,000.

Other info that I unraveled revealed that Apex Mining Co., Inc. (ticker symbol APX) acquired Itogon-Suyoc Resources, Inc. (ISRI) in June 2015.

Hmm...

There still seems to be gold in them thar mines.


My family stayed only for a year while I was a baby.

My mom developed allergies.

Maybe from the water, or something.

Or maybe, she got lonely up there.

So, back to the city we went.

I've become a city girl.


I have no love for gold.

A born again has no love for gold.

We can't take that where we're going.

Job 1:21

King James Version

21 And said, 

Naked came I out of my mother's womb,

 and naked shall I return thither: 

the Lord gave, 

and the Lord hath taken away; 

blessed be the name of the Lord.


No filthy lucre for us.

Only a LOVE for GOD.

1 Peter 5:2-4

King James Version

2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, 

taking the oversight thereof, 

not by constraint, but willingly; 

not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, 

but being examples to the flock.

4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, 

ye shall receive a crown of glory 

that fadeth not away.


But it seems I've always had an interest in "geology".

This article was actually a result of something I had watched today.

About a Filipino geologist gone bad.

Listening to the report, I got back to my roots.

Thus, this article.

And another, after this.

On what kind of GEOLOGIST I'd like to have become.

Starting with a look at grandfather's river stones.


Related material:

BORN AGAIN articles


Image: Open Street Map



CARINA the cruel

Mark 4:37 King James Version 37 And there arose a great storm of wind,  and the waves beat into the ship,  so that it was now full . She ain...